Denver Botanical Gardens

Denver Botanical Gardens

Saturday, March 4, 2017

To Real De La Jara

Today's start was unique. At 11:05, it was the latest I've ever begun a Camino day. We woke up to rain and the weather radar indicated it might clear midday, or it might not!  One by one, throughout the morning, folks ventured out. I was last to leave, caught up with Alfred and Peter along the way, and slowed my pace to talk with them for a bit. It was nice to have a little company after 3 days of walking alone, especially as the rain continued until about one o'clock.

A little more about them: Alfred is age 81 and reminds me of Stuart Goldie, who we met on our 2012 Camino, with a slight build, but impressively strong. Peter once walked to Santiago from his home in the Netherlands, 2500 km!!! But that was 14 years ago. On this walk, he has already injured his left foot, so his pace is very slow right now. He obtained some boot inserts that he hopes will help.

After a couple of hours of walking, we helped each other cross a stream that had swollen over it's banks. They stopped to remove raingear, and I didn't see them the rest of the day.

The sky has begun to clear, and my laundry is hanging on the rooftop patio in a late afternoon sun.  I'll post this with just a few more comments along with the photos.

Meditation: I walk because I can
Distance: 14 km. If I stay healthy, this will be one of the shortest days of this journey.
Weather: Low 46 High 60
Route notes: This stage is 100% dirt track, very nice. It does have one tough climb, with several false summits that mess with your mind, and more hills than I expected.
Albergue and town: I'm in Albergue del Peregrinos, on the left about 100 meters past entering town. Quite satisfactory, with a good kitchen and excellent wifi. The castle on the hill is surely worth a visit, but it looks to be at least 1.5 km from the albergues, so I didn't make it out there due to my late arrival here.

Leaving Almaden de la Plata. The steep dirt road where the Camino
enters town can be seen coming out of the clouds across the village.
Peter, Alfred, and Martin (he is a young man from Germany and walks long days)
After the big hill on this stage, I was surprised to still have 4.6 km to go???
This large Spanish estate on one hill, and . . .
the nearby castle on the next hill, make the town feel like part of a fantasy land movie...
"My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"
What is this animal, and is there something next to it's front feet?
You will have to look closely, Lillian.

No comments:

Post a Comment