Denver Botanical Gardens

Denver Botanical Gardens

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

To Tábara

It feels like these last two days are going to be difficult. Today felt much harder than the 22 or 23 km should have, and tomorrow is about 5 more than that. Every Camino we've done has ended at Santiago or the Atlantic Ocean, with an unmistakable and exciting goal and end point. This time I just tacked on 5 days to the end, with no purpose other than to experience them. I feel like the kid in the back seat that wants to ask "How much further?"

As you can see by the pictures, it was cloudy this morning, but it gradually cleared. Cool again, but no frost before dawn.

I am staying at El Roble, a small hotel in a small town, with very small rooms. The municipal refuge here is legendary, but it has bedbugs right now. For future pilgrims, I will say that I stayed there last year and loved it. But at this moment, there is no doubt in my mind that it is not worth risking. I have pictures of the arm, shoulder, and back of a man who stayed there 4 days ago, with 32 bites. I walked out there this afternoon and showed the pictures to the man who runs it, he told me they just "disinfected" for bedbugs in September - which tells me they knew they had a problem then, and didn't get them all. Enough bedbug talk.

El Roble only charges 20 E for a room, or 25 E for a room AND a meal. Dinner will be at 8:30 pm. The young lady told me, "we serve it early for the pilgrims". (Locals will eat about 9:30 !!!).
 Crepuscular rays. I wrote about these on the blog near the end of March 2017. One of my personal favorite posts, and favorite sights.
 The "imaginary" railroad I wrote about that same week is nearly completed.
 Two pilgrims stopped in Tábara with their burros for a early afternoon snack.
Watch your head Michael. Room 303.

No comments:

Post a Comment